90% less plastic waste with the CellScrew®!The CellScrew® is a novel single-use cell culture device with a high growth area to volume ratio. It can simply be used in any bottle or tube roller. The TC-treated surface of the CellScrew® is suitable for the cultivation of demanding adherent cell lines (e.g. HEK-293 or MSCs). It is made from plant derived polylactic acid (PLA) by an additive manufacturing process. This innovation enables reduction of carbon footprint by ~90% when compared to standard single-use cell culture dishes.
Your advantages with the CellScrew®
- Reduced manufacturing costs: The large growth area, intensified processes and ease of handling reduce labor costs and required manufacturing space.
- Reduced time to market: As the CellScrew® can be applied from lab scale to manufacturing scale, no additional process development is necessary to scale-up.
- Reduced environmental impact: Your CO₂ emission is reduced by more than 90% using the CellScrew®, compared to conventional multilayer flasks.
Unparalleled growth area to volume ratio; excellent low-shear mixing
The CellScrew®'s novel internal structures comprised of multiple Archimedean Screws, concentric cylinders and a central tube create a low-shear stress, continuously mixed, highly oxygenated environment. This creates conditions for optimal adherent cell attachment and growth. The compact design allows easy handling and saves incubator space.
The world’s most sustainable cell culture system made from plant-based PLA
Working as researchers in academia and the industry, it is shocking to see the enormous amount of single-use plastic waste accumulating.
To tackle this challenge, Green Elephant Biotech set out to provide a simple cultivation device with better growth area to volume ratio made from renewable material. And now the innovation is here: the CellScrew®!
How to use the CellScrew®
Available in multiple sizes
Cell Culture Area
|450 - 1,300 mL|
|CS6K||6,000 cm²||250 - 800 mL
- Process Engineering Characterization of the CellScrew®: Mixing Time and Oxygen Transfer Coefficient
- The CellScrew® offers short mixing times over the whole recommended rpm range.
- The CellScrew® is comparable with regular multiple-use benchtop bioreactor systems regarding the kL a-value.
- The kL a-value of the CellScrew® increases and the mixing time decreases with increasing rotation speed.
- Cultivation and Expansion of HEK-293 Cells in the CellScrew®: Application of PLA as a Growth Surface for Adherent Cells
- Attachment of HEK-293 in the CellScrew® was successful.
- Expansion of HEK-293 in the CellScrew® was successful and exceeded DSMZ data.
- No protocol modification necessary for trypsinization.
- Harvesting enzyme concentration was reduced by 66 % without loss in harvest efficiency.
Ilex Life Sciences is an official distributor of Green Elephant Biotech products, including the CellScrew®.