The Biocolor Sircol™ Soluble Collagen Assay is a quantitative assay for measurement of both acid-soluble and pepsin-soluble collagens.
The assay can assess the rate of newly synthesized collagen. New collagen is produced during periods of rapid growth and development. New collagen is also generated during inflammation, wound healing and tumor development.
The Sircol Assay can monitor collagen produced in situ, or during in-vitro cell culture. It can also measure in-vitro extracellular matrix formation.
This assay is not suitable for covalent cross-linked collagen. However, the Sircol Insoluble Collagen Assay (S2000) replaces hydroxyproline analysis. This allows the customer to measure insoluble collagen within one working day.
Colorimetric Assay (556 nm)
Dye-binding method using Sircol™ Dye Reagent, which contains Sirius Red dye in picric acid and has been formulated for specific binding to collagen under the conditions defined in the Sircol assay protocol.
|Assay Range||0 - 150 µg/ml or 0 - 500 µg/ml (depending on setup)|
|Limit of Detection||10 µg/ml|
|Assay Run-Time||1.5 hours|
|Sensitivity||The sensitivity of the Sircol Soluble Collagen Assay is 1.0 µg collagen. Quantities as low as 1.0 µg of collagen can be recovered from a 1 ml volume if the Collagen Isolation & Concentration protocol is used (See Sircol assay manual for more detail).|
|Type of Collagen Measured||
Soluble* collagens from mammalian sources**:
In-vivo: tissues, cartilages, fluids.
In-vitro: 2D/3D culture extracellular matrices / conditioned media.
* Collagens must be in soluble form, depending on sample this will require prior salt/acid/acid-pepsin extraction.
** Non-mammalian collagens may result in a reduced limit of detection. We recommend use of a collagen standard matched to the non-mammalian species under assay.
Which Sircol Collagen Assay should I use for my application?
Should I choose bovine or rat collagen kit?
The Sircol™ kit containing bovine collagen standard is suitable for use with all mammalian cells. The Sircol™ kit with rat collagen standard is offered primarily for customers who have difficulty importing/receiving kit with bovine material.
Sircol Flow Chart
Want to learn more about collagen? We have compiled the links below that contain information which you may find interesting.
- The Collagen Family
- Collagen In Wound Healing
- Collagen Assembly at the Cell Surface: Dogmas Revisited
- Natural Biomaterials and Their Use as Bioinks for Printing Tissues
- Additive Biomanufacturing with Collagen Inks
- Collagen Mimetic Peptides
- The role of collagen in cancer: from bench to bedside
- Collagen of Extracellular Matrix from Marine Invertebrates and Its Medical Applications
- Biocolor Sircol™ Insoluble Collagen Assay
- Collagen and Hydroxyproline Assays
- Extracellular Matrix Assays
- Extracellular Matrix Molecules
Ilex Life Sciences LLC is an official distributor of Biocolor products.