The Biocolor Blyscan™ Glycosaminoglycan Assay is a quantitative dye-binding method for the analysis of sulfated proteoglycans and glycosaminoglycans, (sGAG).
Test material includes:
- Cell culture derived material
- Soluble sGAGs from fluids, such as synovial fluid, urine.
- Connective tissue / tumors
Soluble sGAGs may be assayed directly, solid materials will require a preliminary papain extraction.
The assay can be used to measure the total sGAG content and can also be adopted to determine the O- and N-sulfated glycosaminoglycan ratio within test samples.
The dye label used in the assay is 1,9-dimethylmethylene blue and the dye is employed under conditions that provide a specific label for the sulfated polysaccharide component of proteoglycans or the protein free sulfated glycosaminoglycan chains.
The assay is not suitable for small sulfated disaccharide fragments or for samples containing alginates, as these contain uronic acid.
- fibrous and hyaline cartilages
- arteries, heart, lung, skin and other material containing extracellular matrix (connective tissue), and solid tumors
- extracellular matrix components that may be released by live cells into culture medium
Assay Run Time
sGAG, s-glycosaminoglycan, sulfated glycosaminoglycan
Ilex Life Sciences LLC is an official distributor of Biocolor Ltd.