Bovine Collagen-II is a natural protein purified from bovine knee joint. Collagen-II is purified by proprietary chromatographic techniques.
Collagen, a major component of the extracellular matrix, is a fibrous protein that provides tensile strength to tissues giving them structural integrity. Collagens contribute to mechanical properties, organization, and shape of tissues. Collagen is the most widely used extracellular matrix (ECM) protein for cell culture, facilitating cell attachment, growth, differentiation, migration, and tissue morphogenesis.
Type II collagen is one of the major ECM components of articular cartilage. Type II collagen is a fibril-forming collagen that forms the bulk of the vitreous collagen fibrils, accounting for 60–75% of the collagen within the fibrils. It is essential for the normal embryonic development of the skeleton, for linear growth and for the ability of cartilage to resist compressive forces.
Bovine knee joint.
Filtered white lyophilized (freeze-dried) powder. Collagen-II was lyophilized without additives.
Purity > 95.0%.
We recommend to add 50 mM acetic acid to prepare a working stock solution of approximately 1-5 mg/ml and let the lyophilized pellet dissolve completely.
At ambient temperature. Upon receipt, store the product at the temperature recommended below.
Lyophilized Collagen-II although stable at room temperature for 3 weeks, should be stored desiccated below -18C. Upon reconstitution Collagen-II should be stored at 4C between 2-7 days and for future use below -18C.
For long term storage it is recommended to add a carrier protein (0.1% HSA or BSA).
Please prevent freeze-thaw cycles.
This product is intended to Laboratory Research Use Only. This product may not be used a drug, agricultural product, food additives.
Type 2 Collagen, Type II Collagen, Collagen-2, COL2A1, Collagen alpha-1(II) chain
Want to learn more about collagen? We have compiled the links below that contain information which you may find interesting:
- UniProt Knowledgebase: UniProtKB - P02459 (CO2A1_BOVIN): Collagen alpha-1(II) chain
- PubChem Gene Summary: COL2A1 - collagen type II alpha 1 chain (cattle)
- The Collagen Family
- Collagen In Wound Healing
- Collagen Assembly at the Cell Surface: Dogmas Revisited
- Natural Biomaterials and Their Use as Bioinks for Printing Tissues
- Additive Biomanufacturing with Collagen Inks
- Collagen Mimetic Peptides
- The role of collagen in cancer: from bench to bedside
- Collagen of Extracellular Matrix from Marine Invertebrates and Its Medical Applications