Measure all types of fibrillary collagen in a fast and simple 96-well plate format!
Collagen is one of the main components of extracellular matrix. Dysregulation in collagen production results in pathologies such as fibrosis (too much collagen), or osteoarthritis (too little collagen). Therefore measurement of collagen production is important in many disease related studies.
The QuickZyme collagen assay is based on binding of the dye Sirius Red to collagen. Following binding of the dye, the collagen-dye complex precipitates, resulting in a coloured pellet. This colour can be released in an alkaline solution.
The assay measures various types of fibrillar collagen. The most abundant collagen types are collagen type I (skin, bone, vessels, connective tissue), type II (cartilage) and type III (skin, bone, connective tissue).
The assay is specific for collagen. After heating at 50°C the signal is lost, since the assay does not recognize denatured collagen (gelatin). The assay can be used to analyze soluble collagen or collagen that is solubilized by acetic acid alone or in combination with pepsin. The assay is intended for collagen analysis in conditioned cell culture media and cellular extracts. The assay is not affected by serum up to at least 10%.
- tissue culture supernatants, cellular extracts, tissue homogenates
• Measures all types of fibrillar collagen, species independent
• Measures soluble or solubilized collagens
• Samples: tissue culture supernatants, cellular extracts and tissue homogenates
• 96-well plate format
• Range/sensitivity: 0.5 to 10 μg/ml. Sensitivity: 0.69 ng/ml
• Ease-of-use: Equivalent to ELISA
• Assay time < 3 hours
• Store at 4°C
Typical collagen standard curve in the range of
0.5 – 10 μg collagen/well (3.5 - 70 μg/ml; blank value 0.070)
Assay Run Time
< 3 hours
Store at 4°C. Do not use kit components past kit
Opened kit / reconstituted reagents:
• Collagen standard dissolved in 20 mM HAc: store at 4°C up to 1 month
• Dye solution: store at 4°C up to 1 month
• Dilution buffer: store at -20°C up to 6 months
• Wash buffer: store at -20°C up to 6 months
• Detection solution: store either at 4°C or room temperature up to 1 month
- Application note 1: How to choose your collagen assay?
- Application note 2: How to measure collagen in mouse tissues?
- Application note 3: Collagen per protein analysis in fresh, frozen and formalin-fixed tissues
Want to learn more about collagen? We have compiled the links below that contain information which you may find interesting:
- The Collagen Family
- Collagen In Wound Healing
- Collagen Assembly at the Cell Surface: Dogmas Revisited
- Natural Biomaterials and Their Use as Bioinks for Printing Tissues
- Additive Biomanufacturing with Collagen Inks
- Collagen Mimetic Peptides
- The role of collagen in cancer: from bench to bedside
- Collagen of Extracellular Matrix from Marine Invertebrates and Its Medical Applications
Ilex Life Sciences LLC is an official distributor of QuickZyme Biosciences.