The Rat/Mouse SP-D Kit EIA II, developed and manufactured in Japan by Yamasa Corporation, is a quantitative immunoassay for determination of rat or mouse surfactant protein D (SP-D) in rat or mouse serum or bronchoalveolar lavage fluids (BALF). This ELISA allows highly sensitive measurement of rat serum SP-D. In addition, the antibody used in the ELISA also reacts with mouse SP-D, allowing the measurement of mouse SP-D.
SP-D is a 43-kDa protein with a collagen-like domain. Its four trimers assemble in vivo to form a dodecamer. SP-D is known as a lung-specific protein because it is mainly produced by alveolar type II epithelial and club cells.
SP-D plays important roles in the biological defense mechanism in the airway-alveolar system. For example, it promotes bacterial phagocytosis by alveolar macrophages. On the other hand, SP-D in the alveoli is transferred to the blood and increased in several types of interstitial pneumonia, such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, collagen disease lung, and drug-induced lung injury.
To elucidate the functions of SP-D in vivo, animal experiments are indispensable. This product that allows highly sensitive measurement of rat/mouse SP-D is useful to investigate SP-D. In addition, a study using rats and mice with bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis demonstrated that SP-D may serve as a serum marker to monitor lung injury, suggesting that our product may be useful for detecting lung injuries in various animal experiments.
Pulmonary surfactant-associated protein D, SFTPD, PSP-D, Collectin-7, Lung surfactant protein D, SFTP4
Principle of Method
Assay principle of this kit is the solid phase enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) using two monoclonal antibodies against rat SP-D and rat SP-D as a standard material. Both anti rat SP-D antibodies also can react to mouse SP-D. It is possible to measure the concentration of rat and mouse SP-D in serum and/or bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) by this kit.
Serum, bronchoalveolar lavage fluids (BALF)
Rat Serum: 100 µL (after 50-fold dilution)
Mouse Serum: 100 µL (after 10-fold dilution)
Rat or Mouse BALF: 100 µL (after 100-fold dilution)
- Rat SP-D levels can be measured in a range of 0.47-30 ng/mL.
Store all components at 2-8 °C.
- Development Paper: Murata, Makoto et al. “Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for measurement of rat pulmonary surfactant protein D using monoclonal antibodies.” Experimental lung research vol. 36,8 (2010): 463-8. doi:10.3109/01902141003746371
Want to learn more about SP-D? We have compiled the links below which contain information that you may find interesting:
- UniProt Knowledgebase: UniProtKB - P35247 (SFTPD_HUMAN): Pulmonary surfactant-associated protein D
- PubChem Gene Summary: SFTPD - surfactant protein D (human)
- Crouch, E C. “Surfactant protein-D and pulmonary host defense.” Respiratory research vol. 1,2 (2000): 93-108. doi:10.1186/rr19
- Sorensen, Grith L. “Surfactant Protein D in Respiratory and Non-Respiratory Diseases.” Frontiers in medicine vol. 5 18. 8 Feb. 2018, doi:10.3389/fmed.2018.00018
- Hsieh, Miao-Hsi et al. “Human Surfactant Protein D Binds Spike Protein and Acts as an Entry Inhibitor of SARS-CoV-2 Pseudotyped Viral Particles.” Frontiers in immunology vol. 12 641360. 14 May. 2021, doi:10.3389/fimmu.2021.641360
- Waseda, Yuko et al. “Surfactant protein D: a useful marker for differentiation of drug-induced pneumonia and bacterial pneumonia.” Pneumonia (Nathan Qld.) vol. 13,1 11. 5 Jun. 2021, doi:10.1186/s41479-021-00087-6
References to Summary
- Persson A et al. (1988). Biochemistry. 27. 8576.
- Nagae H et al. (1996). Jpn J Med Pharm Sci. 36. 803-808.
- Honda Y et al. (1996). Jpn J Med Pharm Sci. 36. 809-815.
- Tanaka M et al. (2008). Jpn J Med Pharm Sci. 59. 439-446.
Ilex Life Sciences LLC is an authorized distributor of Yamasa SP-D Kit EIA II.